November 25, 2019
My first three weeks at Terrain NRM have been a whirlwind of meetings and trying to make the most of my handover time with Carole but it has been amazing to meet so many people who are passionate about NRM and making a positive difference in our region. I want to thank everyone for being so welcoming.
I will talk more about future directions over the next few months but for now, as Carole hands over the reins at our AGM on Friday, I want to acknowledge her leadership and her many achievements as CEO of Terrain NRM over the last 10 years. Some of the highlights include:
- Her commitment to collaboration and building partnerships to deliver results including Wet Tropics Waterways, the Wet Tropics Sugar Industry Partnership, the NQ NRM Alliance and other project-related partnerships.
- Attracting major investment in this region to benefit the Great Barrier Reef and biodiversity.
- Pushing the boundaries of innovation with unique projects such as the Wet Tropics Major Integrated Project, the Wet Tropics Plan for People and Country (our region’s award-winning NRM Plan), Reef Credit and Cassowary Credit ecosystem service markets, and GIS spatial tools and decision-support tools.
- Achieving national recognition for Terrain NRM through its inclusion in the 2019 AFR BOSS Most Innovative Company List, published by The Australian Financial Review and Boss Magazine.
- Building a resilient organisation - with a strong culture and professional, capable and committed staff - that is able to weather an ever-changing landscape.
I have thoroughly enjoyed learning from Carole during our handover period. The last month has strengthened my understanding and respect for the organisation and Carole’s leadership.
On behalf of Terrain NRM and our region, I want to express my thanks and gratitude for her dedication and commitment over the last 10 years and for ensuring a smooth CEO transition.
I hope you will join me at our AGM on Friday to pay tribute to Carole and wish her well on her next journey.
Stewart Christie, Terrain NRM CEO