Message from the CEO
March 19, 2020
Responding to the COVID-19 Pandemic
As the world adapts to living with the COVID-19 pandemic, Terrain NRM is taking pro-active steps to continue our operations while minimising risk to staff, contractors, partners and the general public. Safety is our number one priority.
With immediate effect the following measures have been put in place:
Access to staff and offices
Our staff have been given the option of working from home for the foreseeable future, but you can still contact them by phone and email.
Those that have chosen to continue working from one of our offices are no longer permitted to travel between and work from other offices.
All of our offices (Cairns, Innisfail, Atherton and Tully) are no longer accessible to the public.
Field staff who are visiting landholders on properties will first contact the landholders to confirm they will allow staff onto their property. If approval is provided, our staff will be required to undertake a ‘Work Method Statement’, which includes a risk assessment with increased health and safety standards. Part of this will include following the recommended social distancing and hygiene measures.
In keeping with the latest government advice, we are cancelling or postponing upcoming events including public workshops and field days until further notice.
Where possible we are asking our staff to transition all meetings to virtual communication methods.
In instances where face-to-face meetings are still the preferred option, we have instigated some significant new procedures. These include:
- Asking invited participants to refrain from attending if they feel unwell or have displayed symptoms of COVID-19 for the previous 14 days.
- Limiting numbers to 6 people.
- Maintaining at least 2 metres between participants.
- Keeping meetings to a maximum of 2 hours.
- Following hygiene measures including regular hand washing and no hand shaking.
- Cleaning and disinfecting meeting spaces prior to and after meetings.
- Not providing shared catering.
We also acknowledge that certain demographic groups that we work with may be more vulnerable to the virus and we will be taking extra care to minimise risk to these groups, which are:
- People over the age of 60
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
- People with known compromised immune systems or chronic medical conditions.
At this stage we are obviously unsure how long these measures will be required but we will keep you updated as the situation evolves.
Terrain NRM CEO