Learning more about soil health and fertility on farms, reading soil tests with confidence and taking action to address soil issues - this is what Digging Deeper Plus is all about.
Digging Deeper Plus is a soil management program for farmers and other land managers in the Wet Tropics, Cape York and Northern Gulf regions, which began in mid-December 2018 and will run until May 2019.
The program is led by well-known agriculture ecologist David Hardwick with support from Terrain NRM staff and specialists.
Terrain NRM secured Australian Government funding through the National Landcare Program to deliver the program, which includes:
- Places for 27 farming businesses
- One day per month (for six months) of practical soil health sessions, with visits to each participating property
- A soil test and comprehensive analysis
- Development of soil action plans for all participating farming businesses
What farmers are learning:
With real soils, real situations and soil tests, this program increases land managers' confidence to manage their own soils. The program is delivered in a group so everyone learns from each other. The course is holistic, covers biological and chemical approaches to soils management.
Farmers learn about:
- Soils and how they function
- Soil nutrients on-farm
- How different farm practices affect soil health and fertility
- Soil tests - how to read them with confidence and assess your soil health in the paddock
- Monitoring, identifying and mapping soil types across your property
- Identifying soil constraints such as low organic matter, pH, soil salinity
- Setting benchmarks for your soils and taking effective action to address issues
- Biofertilisers, fertilisers, soil amendments and the range of fertility input options
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Soil Health Videos
Learn more about soil health in the Wet Tropics by watching this series of short videos, presented by agroecologist David Hardwick.