Do you want to learn more about soil health and fertility on your farm? Would you like to read soil tests with confidence and take action to address soil issues that are impacting your business?
Digging Deeper Plus is a soil management program for farmers and other land managers in the Wet Tropics, Cape York and Northern Gulf regions, which begins in December 2018 and will run until June 2019.
What's it about?
The program will be led by well-known agriculture ecologist David Hardwick with support from Terrain NRM staff and specialists.
Eighteen farming businesses can be part of the program, which will be offered in two places - the Tablelands and the southern coastal region of the Wet Tropics (based in the Ingham region).
Terrain NRM secured Australian Government funding through the National Landcare Program to deliver the program, which will include:
- Places for 18 farming businesses (see below for the expression of interest form)
- Six days of practical soil health sessions, with visits to each participating property
- A soil test and comprehensive analysis
- Development of soil action plans for all participating farming businesses
What you'll learn:
With real soils, real situations and soil tests, farmers will finish with a high level of confidence to manage their own soils. The program is delivered in a group so everyone learns from each other. The course is holistic, covers biological and chemical approaches to soils management.
You'll learn about:
- Soils and how they function
- Soil nutrients on-farm
- How different farm practices affect soil health and fertility
- Soil tests - how to read them with confidence and assess your soil health in the paddock
- Monitoring, identifying and mapping soil types across your property
- Identifying soil constraints such as low organic matter, pH, soil salinity
- Setting benchmarks for your soils and taking effective action to address issues
- Biofertilisers, fertilisers, soil amendments and the range of fertility input options
Register your interest and learn more about Digging Deeper Plus:
Applications close on Friday 9 November 2018 at 4.30pm.
Email your completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org or send to
The Regional Agriculture Landcare Facilitator, Terrain NRM, PO Box 1756, QLD 4860.