Rainforest Aboriginal Grants are to help get caring for land and sea country projects developed and ready for implementation. Terrain and Wet Tropics Management Authority are seeking Expressions of Interest from Rainforest Aboriginal people and organisations.
- Funding and support for leadership, mentoring and knowledge sharing projects from $5,000 - $15,000 (GST exclusive) through Terrain.
- Funding and support for World Heritage partnerships, cultural recognition and sustainable livelihoods projects from $5,000 - $10,000 (GST exclusive) through the Authority.
Who can apply?
Rainforest Aboriginal people and their organisations who are doing work in cultural or natural resource management. This includes ranger groups, RNTBCs, PBCs, and private Indigenous owned enterprises with a focus on working on country.
Projects should enhance knowledge, fulfil cultural responsibilities to country, or improve capacity to manage the cultural and natural values of their traditional land and sea estates in the Wet Tropics region.
Applications for Rainforest Aboriginal Grants can be submitted by individuals or groups. Evidence of support from the Traditional Owner group or PBC of the area is required. Projects must fall within the Wet Tropics NRM Region or the Wet Tropics World Heritage Area.
Terrain will support leadership, mentoring and knowledge sharing opportunities such as:
- Development of new, or refinement of existing Country Based Plans.
- Bringing a trainer to the organisation, or enrolling individuals into mentoring and leadership courses.
- Sending staff on secondments to other organisations.
- Facilitating travel to workshops, conferences and or other Traditional Owner groups to gain knowledge and insight of other groups.
- Purchase of small items of equipment to assist in facilitation of learning outcomes.
Wet Tropics Management Authority will support projects which:
- Develop World Heritage partnerships and fulfil traditional management practice.
- Enhance cultural recognition and presentation of cultural values.
- Support sustainable livelihood opportunities and involvement in World Heritage Area management.
What is the process?
Successful applicants will need to sign a funding agreement with Terrain or the Authority.
To apply for a Rainforest Aboriginal Grant, read the Rainforest Aboriginal Grants Guidelines (Round 2) and then complete the form below. If you have any questions, please contact Vanessa or Alicia.
Vanessa Drysdale - Community Partnerships Officer (Douglas) | Terrain NRM | 0437 187 036 | or email Vanessa
Alicia Haines - Project Officer (Aboriginal Partnerships) | Wet Tropics Management Authority | 07 4241 0510 | or email Alicia
Grant applications are now closed.